Well Hi there, I haven’t seen you in a while!
…. I’ve disappeared again. I know. The truth is, I haven’t had much to write about. And without making excuses let me tell you, that things like depression and anxiety make simple every day tasks seem incredibly difficult.
And when it comes to things I am passionate about, like animal rights or the health of our environment and personal health, I’ve lost focus and hope.
I am telling all of you this today because it has been heavily on my mind, and I did not want to come back here and tell you that life got busy, because that is a cop out excuse that requires no real explanation.
I live my life honestly, so here is the honest answer to my absence.
My life is going through many personal changes. I am working two jobs, will be losing my kids a week at a time to their Dad, fighting for a relationship that I believe in with every bit of my being, and struggling with depression and anxiety.
There’s a funny thing about depression and anxiety. There is no cure. It is a constant battle of wills to get through each day. In the winter, this becomes even more difficult.
But this is a new year, and I want to continue this blog site. Here are my hopes and goals for this year, feel free to leave yours in the comments!
1. Take back my health. This includes mental health. Eating clean can have a large impact on both physical and mental health. What we eat literally becomes part of our cells, and can affect all of those feel good hormones and chemicals that flow through our body. It’s time to remember that I am in control of this part of my life, and I can change it.
2. Get outside. Having Raynaud’s (a circulation disorder) makes this a challenge in the winter, but there has to be a way to rise above it. Just dressing warmly often isn’t enough. This is the year I’m going to beat it, because being outside is an important part of who I am. Nature is everything. Being out with nature is the only place I truly feel free and at peace with myself. I’m hoping to fill this year with hikes and adventure!
3. Start following world events again. This is a big one because it really affects what I am able to write about on this blog. I had to stop many years ago because I am so passionate about what is going on in our world that I couldn’t deal with it. But 2017 is going to be a year of following my passions and making it work.
4. Make the guitar a daily practice. Last year I began lightly playing around with an acoustic guitar, with my Dad’s instruction. I’ve already forgotten what the chords are, but it is so relaxing to make music. Apparently the vibrational energy from music is good for the soul.
5. Make meaningful connections. This is the one I struggle with most, because of my anxiety. It’s really hard to put yourself out there. One way that I find is great for making meaningful connections is by volunteering. But to do that, one has to leave the comfort of their home and be willing to say “Hi, here I am. I think we have something in common and you’re a good person. Please accept me.”
Whatever your goals for 2017, they will require work and persistence. You’ve got this, compassionate friends. Let’s tackle this year with confidence and passion, and love. Take the lows with strength and patience. The storms will come, but they leave a beautiful mess and create space for new beginnings. Ride it out.